[web-devel] bindPort of Warp

Kazu Yamamoto ( 山本和彦 ) kazu at iij.ad.jp
Wed Jul 20 04:07:17 CEST 2011

Hello,

I have one more thins to say about Warp.

Warp provides self-socket-biding function called bindPort. This
function tries to use IPv4 only. Is this intentional? Are their any
reasons to not support IPv6 also?

If this is not intentional, I would love to make a path to support
both IPv4 and IPv6.

P.S.

To those who are not familiar to IPv6: If we can create a listing
socket of IPv6 and if IPV6_V6ONLY is false, the socket can magically
handle both IPv4 and IPv6.

IPV6_V6ONLY is false by default on Linux and Mac. It is true by
default on BSD.

So, my hack would change Warp's behavior on BSD. That is, it can
accept IPv6 only. I think that this behavior should be fixed in the
network library. And I have already sent a pull request.

	https://github.com/haskell/network/pull/13

--Kazu