[web-devel] [Yesod] psuedo-announcement: yesod-goodies

Patrick Brisbin pbrisbin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 16:33:06 CEST 2011

On 07/16/11 at 11:12pm, Greg Weber wrote:
> I like these helpers! I am wondering if they can be organized a bit
> better For the helpers that aren't specific to yesod (Shorten, Time,
> Gravatar, Search) could that be move to a web-goodies or web-helpers module
> so it is clear for non-Yesod users that they can use them and that there
> isn't a yesod dependency?

You're absolutely right. Search isn't even /web/-specific, let alone
yesod-specific. It would be good to have a few different packages with
only the deps each needs.

Not sure when I'll get the time to do any major restructuring, but I
have no qualms leaving it up to someone else to take care of via pull
request (if they're so inclined).

> I am also wondering if it is best to remove the Goodies namespace? But for
> something like Time it might be named something like Display.Time (maybe
> there is a better convention on hackage already).

I think I had that because I have some pages where I use almost all of
these and it was nice to just `import Yesod.Goodies`. I'm open to
letting it go though; I see Michael took the "Helpers" namespace out of
at least one yesod package recently -- maybe that's a trend to follow.

--
patrick brisbin