[web-devel] On moving Yesod-specific discussion to a separate list

anthropornis anthropornis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 01:44:59 CEST 2011

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I have multiple Gmail accounts and
check them all via IMAP in Thunderbird. For me, it would be
inconsequential to subscribe to another list. I have an account that is
JUST for lists, which helps me keep stuff better organized. So I would
just add another Gmail label, then another Gmail filter, and it gets
turned into a folder in Thunderbird, and really does not inconvenience
me at all. For me it is a matter of clicking an expander arrow in
Thunderbird.

I personally do not dislike the idea of a Yesod-specific list, it seems
logical. Certainly any time you might a have Yesod user wanting to pick
the brains of a Snap user, it wouldn't be a big deal to post to a
generic list (web-devel?) or a Snap-specific list with the above setup.

I don't think generating traffic for a generic list should really be a
criterion, because it is easy to check multiple lists using IMAP on a
local client. Would that harm the web-devel list? I don't know, but it's
really not a logical criterion in my opinion. Maybe it might inspire
people to send more non-Yesod content to the generic if they feel it has
assumed a generic role and its traffic was declining. Regardless, I
don't think separating things out is really being prejudiced against
something or not, it's just a matter of clicking one folder versus
another in your local email client.

Here is a scenario: Maybe I like Yesod and Happstack and Snap, but this
week I am overwhelmed in general and don't feel like perusing Happstack
emails. Different lists is just another layer of an organizational tool
for me, nothing more. The other emails will still be there for me to
check next week when things lighten up.

For that matter you could have Persistent and WAI lists too. Again, it's
just a matter of opening another folder in certain email setups. (I'm
not advocating for or against either of those examples.) There's no
technical reason for it to create social or political or any other
divisions.

Just my two cents, for whatever it is worth.