[web-devel] On moving Yesod-specific discussion to a separate list

Greg Weber greg at gregweber.info
Tue Jun 28 16:05:49 CEST 2011

To summarize this thread, many subscribers would like this mail list to have
a "higher signal to noise ratio". One aspect of this is *very* Yesod
specific development discussions. We have considered a yesod-contributors
mail list. However, this would only take a few conversations off of
web-devel and was mostly designed to replace the system of informal e-mails
that occurs now.

The only common definition of "higher signal to noise ratio" is to have
fewer help messages. This is a very reasonable request, although as Jasper
points out, it is not always clear when someone is asking for help if they
will be exposing something that needs to have a discussion. But I suppose we
could take such a conversation off of StackOverflow and post it to the mail
list.

I edited the page:
http://www.yesodweb.com/page/community

<http://www.yesodweb.com/page/community>To point to Stack Overflow. We will
try out encouraging users to ask for help on Stack Overflow.
I also added a mention of the #yesod IRC channel. The channel is currently
not a good medium for help- if any Yesod users can go on IRC and answer
basic questions (and otherwise point users to Stack Overflow) that would be
very appreciated.

Harmut, I appreciate your input. Please let us know how the new changes
impact your experience and if you have suggestions for other approaches.

To the rest of Yesod users, start trying out Stack Overflow if you feel it
is appropriate, and let us know how it goes. Also try out IRC if you like.
But we don't want anyone to feel intimidated in communicating with the
community, so if you feel web-devel is best, please just post here.

To those wanting "higher signal to noise", lets check back in and a month
and see how things are doing.

Thanks,
Greg Weber