[web-devel] On moving Yesod-specific discussion to a separate list

Isak Hansen isak.hansen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 13:40:09 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:

> Well, bug reports are simple: they belong in the issue tracker. That's
> where users are encouraged to report them. Let's look at a few other
> "categories" of emails that come in:
>
> "How do I do X": I agree with Greg that we should encourage users to
> use Stack Overflow for this. We can update the Yesod site to make this
> clear, but as should be obvious, no one on the Yesod team can actually
> control where people send their questions.

You actually do control what mailing list the Yesod community goes to.
Web-devel is listed as the first point of contact on your community
pages, and I'm sure most Yesod users found it through your site.

The list might have been appropriate for sharing ideas and getting
feedback back when you started the project, but Yesod has grown and
people are saying is that its community is starting to strain this one
in terms of signal to noise ratio.

I think Yesod is better off with a new mailing list for general
support, and a lower traffic yesod-devel mailing list to
increase/maintain it's mind-share. Those sharing your goals will sign
up, while you avoid alienating the other web-devel users.

Isak