[web-devel] On moving Yesod-specific discussion to a separate list

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Jun 27 10:21:22 CEST 2011

Let's bring a little historical context to the issue: before Yesod
starting using the web-devel list, there was virtually no activity on
it.[1] I remember receiving a few very specific emails about where to
direct web development questions, and that's the point at which I
decided to use web-devel as the official Yesod mailing list, to make
sure that such questions wouldn't fall on deaf ears. And I think it's
worked.

I'm opposed to splitting off the Yesod discussions to a separate list
for multiple reasons:

* It's an inconvenience to need to set up a new list and get everyone
to sign up on a different one.
* It's very difficult to know which list should receive a discussion.
For example
    * Hamlet is not Yesod-specific, but is mostly used in Yesod. If
someone asks a question about Hamlet, involving some Yesod code...
where does it go?
    * Does WAI need to be spun off into Yesod discussions? Currently,
it's only used by Yesod, but Happstack is planning on moving over to
it soon.
* I would actually prefer pulling in the Snap and Happstack mailing
lists to web-devel: I think there is a lot of room for better
discussions if we're all talking together by default. I'm already
subscribed to both mailing lists, and I don't think it will be a
problem to include that traffic here.

tl;dr: I think that it's a very fine line between framework-specific
and framework-related, and we should stop making such distinctions.

Michael

[1] http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/web-devel/2009/date.html