[web-devel] [Haskell-beginners] Options for creating a multiple select form via Yesod

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Tue Jun 14 17:40:16 CEST 2011

Hi David,

Thank you for the analysis, you're absolutely correct that this is a
shortcoming in the API of yesod-form as it stands. I had an idea for a
possibly simple modification to fix the situation: change fieldParse

    [Text] -> Either msg (Maybe a)

We don't really want to support returning singles or doubles from the
same Field; a multiSelectField will automatically make the "a"
variable a list. Said another way, the types should be:

    selectField :: [(Text, a)] -> Field xml msg a
    multiSelectField :: [(Text, a)] -> Field xml msg [a]

Another related change: we don't really need to separate out
fieldRender from fieldView I believe. Instead, we can have fieldView
be:

    fieldView :: Text -- ^ ID
                 -> Text -- ^ name
                 -> a -- currently, this is another Text
                 -> Bool -- ^ required?
                 -> xml

I'm willing to test out these changes myself, but wanted to (1) get
input from you and (2) see if you or anyone else wanted to take a
crack at it.

Michael