[web-devel] http-enumerator : Any way to get the headers first?

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Tue May 17 03:16:30 CEST 2011

On 05/16/11 18:35, Michael Snoyman wrote:

> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo
> <mle+hs at mega-nerd.com <mailto:mle%2Bhs at mega-nerd.com>> wrote:
>
>       c) Modify the Network.Http.Enumerator.http function so that
>        de-chunking/gunzipping is optional.
>

> I would guess that (c) is really the best option, though I'm guessing
> you shied away from it because it involved more substantial changes to
> http-enumerator. Maybe we should consider adding an extra httpAdvanced
> function that takes additional settings, such as whether or not to
> automatically de-chunk/de-gzip. I wouldn't be surprised if we come up
> with more such cases in the future.

Well, one whacky-but-nifty related idea I've had is that if you're
outputting a gzip'ed page, but you've got some expensive chunk of the
page in the middle that you've cached, it is technically possible to
actually cache that chunk pre-gzip'ed and output it directly into the
gzip'ed output, or at the output layer, de-gzip it for a non-gzip'ed
page if necessary, which since that is more rare might be a win. You can
do this because at any time you can flush a gzip stream and simply start
sending another one, though you lose your dictionary when you do that so
you wouldn't want to do this below some cutoff size.

Whether or not this is ever a good idea, I don't know; I've never had
anything like the infrastructure it would take to benchmark it. It could
be anything from a surprisingly cool addition that few other frameworks
could compete with, to a net loss. (Or both, depending on how it is used.)