[web-devel] http-enumerator : Any way to get the headers first?

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Tue May 17 00:52:55 CEST 2011

Michael Snoyman wrote:

> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo
> <mle+hs at mega-nerd.com>wrote:
>
> >  c) Modify the Network.Http.Enumerator.http function so that
> >    de-chunking/gunzipping is optional.
> >
> >  d) Expose the iterHeaders function that is internal to the
> >    http-enumerator package so that client code can grab the
> >    headers before deciding how to handle the body.
> >
> > Are there any other options I haven't thought of yet?
> >
> > From the options I have, I actually think d) makes the most sense,
> > Would a patch exposing iterHeaders be accepted?
>
> Short answer is that I'm fine exposing iterHeaders, as long as we put a big
> fat "advanced users only" comment on it. I agree with you that (b) seems
> like a bad idea. (a) is definitely possible, if a bit tricky, but it defeats
> the whole purpose of chunking and gzipping, so it probably shouldn't be
> considered.
>
> I would guess that (c) is really the best option, though I'm guessing you
> shied away from it because it involved more substantial changes to
> http-enumerator.

I shied away from c) for two reasons:

  - I thought exposing iterHeaders would have other uses as well.

  - How do we know that we are at the end of the request body? With
    chunked/gzipped data (and no content-length header) the body decoder
    figures out where the end is.

I'll have a play with c) and see how it behaves. My idea is to
simply be to add a

    rawData :: Bool

field to the Request data structure. If that element is True then no
dechunking or gunzipping will occur. Once I've tried this relatively
trivial change I will know for sure what the happens at the end of
the body.

> I wouldn't be surprised if we come up with
> more such cases in the future.

Indeed.

Cheers,
Erik