[web-devel] http-enumerator : Any way to get the headers first?

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Mon May 16 10:23:46 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I'm continuing work on the HTTP proxy I'm writing. The absolute
bare basics are working with Warp, Wai and http-enumerator as long
as the upstream web server doesn't send gzipped or chunked data. For
these later two cases, httpe-enumerator helpfully gunzips/unchunks
the data. That however causes a problem.

If my proxy simply passes the HTTP headers and data it gets from
http-enumerator and passes then on to the client, the client barfs
because the headers claim the data is gzipped or chunked and the
data actually isn't chunked/gzipped.

There are a number of possible solutions to this:

 a) Strip the content/transfer-encoding header and add a
    content-length header instead. I think this is probably
    possible with the API as it is, but I haven't figured out
    how yet.

 b) Rechunk or re-gzip the data. This seems rather wasteful
    of CPU resources.

 c) Modify the Network.Http.Enumerator.http function so that
    de-chunking/gunzipping is optional.

 d) Expose the iterHeaders function that is internal to the
    http-enumerator package so that client code can grab the
    headers before deciding how to handle the body.

Are there any other options I haven't thought of yet?