[web-devel] [GSoC] Text/UTF-8: Call for Benchmarks

Felipe Almeida Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 13:34:09 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Jasper Van der Jeugt
<jaspervdj at gmail.com> wrote:
> UTF-8 and UTF-16 both have advantages and disadvantages, which
> actually makes it a pretty complicated choice. I've written about this
> a little in my [3] (especially see Tom Harper's master dissertation if
> you're interested in the subject).

About [3]: conversion to UTF-8 from UTF-8 while reading isn't O(1)
because you have to at least check if it really is valid UTF-8.  On
the other hand, writing shouldn't need anything because the library
guarantees that all Texts have valid internal representations.

Thanks,

--
Felipe.