[web-devel] Yesod renaming

Felipe Almeida Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 00:21:06 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Aristid Breitkreuz
<aristidb at googlemail.com> wrote:
> It's scary? I don't even know what "Yesod" means, and it sounds totally and
> utterly neutral to me, not scary at all. But it is easy to remember anyways,
> due to being very distinctive.
> What makes it sound scary to you?

My mother tongue is Portuguese, so neither "Yesod" nor "monad" meant
anything to me when I first heard of them.  However none of them give
a warm, fuzzy feeling.  I can't speak for people whose mother language
is English, but I'd bet they don't get this feeling as well.

As an example, "Ruby on Rails" feels nice.  You actually can imagine a
nice, big, red ruby going fast like a train =).

That's why I advocate for a Call for Names.  I don't think we should
change "Yesod" just for the sake of having an easier to remember name.
 Any replacement should be clear, nice, give a warm, fuzzy feeling,
etc.

My 2¢ =),

--
Felipe.