[web-devel] GHCi runtime linker: fatal error: I found a duplicate definition for symbol (Yesod)

Blake Rain blake.rain at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 00:00:58 CET 2011

I too had a the same problem with duplicate symbols from libHSghc, and
it seems to be a problem with yesod's dynamic server (or perhaps with
Hint).

My solution was first to remove the dependency on wai-handler-devel in
the yesod package by using the 'production' flag, like so:

$ cabal install yesod -fproduction

For running a dynamic server, the wai-handler-devel package installs an
executable called wai-handler-devel. You can use this rather than the
"runhaskell devel-server.hs" by providing the port, module and function
from your "devel-server.hs" file as arguments:

$ wai-handler-devel 3000 MySiteModule withMySite

The dynamic recompilation of wai-handler-devel is very useful, and I
hope this helps.