[web-devel] [Yesod] Bookmarklet web app development.

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Feb 21 06:56:57 CET 2011

When writing a Julius template, you can embed type-safe URL values
inside using @{...} interpolation. At the end of the day, however,
Julius needs to be able to send a String version of that URL to the
user. Julius itself knows nothing of how to convert your RootR (or
whatever) value into a String, so it needs some help. Therefore, the
type sig of a Julius template is:

    type Julius url = Render url -> Javascript
    type Render url = url -> QueryString -> String
    type QueryString = [(String, String)]

The idea is that the render function will be able to take any route
and a list of query string parameters and create a string version of
your route. A simple example might be:

    data MyRoute = RootR | PersonR String
    myRender RootR [] = "http://www.example.com/"
    myRender (PersonR "michael") [("age", "26")] =
"http://www.example.com/person/michael?age=26"

And so on and so forth. Once you have this function, you can
automatically convert a Julius to a Javascript value, eg:

    [$julius|alert("Go to @{PersonR "michael"}")|] myRender :: Javascript

You can then use renderJavascript to convert a Javascript value into a
bytestring. As a convenience, we also have renderJulius, which simply
does:

    renderJulius :: Render url -> Julius url -> ByteString
    renderJulius r j = renderJavascript $ r j

Hope that helps,
Michael