[web-devel] ALPHA: http-types 0.1

Aristid Breitkreuz aristidb at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 6 16:27:57 CET 2011

2011/2/6 Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>

> It's looking very good. A few minor points:
>
> * urlEncode will only work for query-string encoding: there are
> different encoding rules depending on which part of the URL we're
> dealing with. For example, in the path info, a question mark is
> reserved IIRC.

I implemented the rules as described in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent-encoding

Note that '?' (question mark) actually IS reserved and will be encoded. It's
just that the initial '?' from the query string is never passed through
urlEncode.

There might be other cases in which we need different encoding rules, and I
will gladly accept suggestions, or even better: patches.

> * The docs for StdMethod still refer to OtherMethod.

Thanks for catching this. I will fix this and other documentation in the
next release.

* I would personally like to see parse/renderPathInfo (however you
> want to call it) in this package. Would you accept a patch? For that
> matter, if I see other functions that I think could logically be
> included here, would you accept a patch?

How would {parse,render}PathInfo work?

Yes, I'm glad to accept patches. The easiest method would probably to fork
my repository on github.

> * I hadn't thought of having the header* things generate a pair, I
> think it's a nice touch.
>
> Let's let the dust settle on this package, and on WAI, and then I'll
> likely start moving WAI and http-enumerator over to this. I appreciate
> the rename to CIByteString, it makes the transition easier.

Looking forward to it!

Aristid