[web-devel] Hoogle Advice

Chris Smith cdsmith at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 19:29:26 CET 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 20:10 +0200, Michael Snoyman wrote:
> > That's one of the main reasons I've designed Yesod and WAI the way I
> > have. By splitting the project up into so many pieces (Hamlet,
> > Persistent, authenticate, etc), users get to pick and choose exactly
> > what they want.
> >
> > Yes. Happstack is the same way.
> Yes, and I'm a fan of that. I just wish that other frameworks (cough,
> cough) could take a similar approach.

What parts of Snap would you like to see split out into separate
projects?  Heist is completely independent of Snap.  And snap-server is
already a separate package from snap-core that handles the low-level
HTTP stuff, though perhaps the module boundary isn't exactly where and
like you're accustomed to.  As of now, the Snap project doesn't really
have an endorsed answer for persistence; if Snap ever decides that it
needs its own new entry into persistence frameworks (which I don't yet
see a reason for; there's really no need for all of us to reinvent
everything!), I have no doubt it'll be split into its own package as

Granted, there is an umbrella mechanism for pulling these things
together and making them interoperate in the same application -- that's
the extensions mechanism.  But I'd consider it a flaw if an extension
actually contained substantial independent ideas; the model Snap is
following thus far is to provide functionality with a natural interface,
and *also* an extension to help integrate it together.

Just my thoughts; not speaking for anyone else!

Chris Smith