[web-devel] Hoogle Advice

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 17:15:20 CET 2011

Hi,

I am the author of Hoogle (http://haskell.org/hoogle/), a Haskell API
search engine, that is usually used through a web interface. I'm not
an expert on website programming in Haskell, and I'm not a server
admin by any means. Currently the web side of Hoogle can run in two
modes - as a CGI binary (as deployed on haskell.org) or with "hoogle
server" which starts its own server. I wrote both the CGI interface
(see http://code.haskell.org/hoogle/src/General/Web.hs) and the server
 (see http://code.haskell.org/hoogle/src/Web/Server.hs) myself. I
imagine there is something in the web devel community that I should be
using instead? If so, what is it, and how do I use it? I have a few
requirements:

* I have to be able to integrate it with haskell.org (which probably
runs Apache?).

* I also want to be able to run it as a server where the hoogle binary
runs the server.

* If I could get log/email messages whenever serving a page caused an
exception, or took longer than a certain threshold, that would be
great - but isn't necessary.

* I'd like to log all queries run, and in particular how long they
take, so I can investigate performance issues.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give,

Neil