[web-devel] [Yesod] getBy404.

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Dec 20 23:35:46 CET 2010

2010/12/20 Felipe Almeida Lessa <felipe.lessa at gmail.com>:
> 2010/12/20 Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>:
>> Now a question for everyone: what do people think of removing
>> persistent as a dependency for yesod, and creating a separate
>> yesod-persistent package? Similar arguments apply here as for
>> yesod-auth and yesod-form: yesod is lighter, APIs can change more
>> freely, and less dependencies. Another possible change would be to
>> remove the hamlet and web-routes-quasi dependencies from persistent,
>> and instead stick orphan instances in a yesod-persistent package.
>
> I like separation in many packages.  Especially with persistent, given
> that in many cases it may be not sufficient.
>
> Maybe it would be even nicer to rename the lighter yesod into
> yesod-base, and then create a metapackage yesod that depends on
> everything else with consistent, tested version numbers.

OK, the code is separated in the 0.7 branch[1]. I'm also thinking
about creating a yesod-base package like you mentioned. Here's some
bikeshedding stuff:

* Should it be yesod-base or yesod-core?
* Maybe we should leave it as yesod and create a new package called
yesod-complete? (I don't particularly like this...)
* Should yesod-base have a plain Yesod module, or should that be in
the yesod-complete package and export all the stuff (forms,
persistent) that we have right now?
* And should we split the scaffolding tool into its own package as
well? This probably depends a lot on which base (base or complete)
ends up getting the plain "yesod" name.

Michael

[1] https://github.com/snoyberg/yesod/tree/ver0.7