[web-devel] On the state of Haskell web frameworks

Christopher Done chrisdone at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 20 08:37:58 CEST 2010

On 20 September 2010 04:50, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
> Excerpts from Nils Schweinsberg's message of Sun Sep 19 18:50:39 +0200 2010:
>> By the way, did anyone use javascript on their websites? I wonder if
>> there are any nice ways to combine those two worlds?
>
> Haskell:
>
> - http://github.com/sviperll/ghcjs (There is work in progress):
>  JS backend for GHC. You have to find a way to compile the base
>  packages. It was originally written for ghc-6.8.2
>
> - YHC (york haskell compiler) has a JS backend
>
> - of course those DSL's you can find on hackage
>

> My guess is that Haskells laziness adds both: a runtime penalty and a
> code size penalty. I don't have proofs for that.

I've been thinking maybe a nicer route is to have a DSL which
generates JavaScript or jQuery or some higher-level JS library. We
don't need to compile *Haskell* code to JavaScript, I don't think --
we can merely have a good declarative description language in
something like Applicative or an Arrow. I haven't tried it yet but
I'll let you know how that goes.