[web-devel] ANNOUNCE: wai-handler-scgi 0.2.0

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Wed Jul 28 10:36:22 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'd like to announce a (slightly experimental) release: wai-handler-scgi.
SCGI is an alternative to CGI and FastCGI; like FastCGI, it allows you to
have persistent processes. However, unlike FastCGI, it's a very simple
protocol to implement. This package requires no external C libraries. SCGI
is supported by most web servers that support FastCGI (Apache, Lighttpd,
Nginx, Cherokee, I'm sure others), so this can be an alternate hosting
method.

My tests showed no problems with the package, but as this is the first
release, you may not want to host production sites on it. There also plenty
of room for optimizations, though my testing showed it to be competitive
with FastCGI.

I've also released new versions of wai-extra and wai-handler-fastcgi to
provide a new feature: CGI sendfile support. Some servers allow you to
specify an HTTP header (X-Sendfile, X-LIGHTTPD-send-file, etc) and then they
will send the specified static file via a sendfile system call. This can
have big performance advantages. The new function is called runSendfile, and
is available in all three packages.

The code for wai-handler-scgi is very short; I encourage anyone who has
experience optimizing socket IO to have a look and fix up the performance
bottlenecks.