[web-devel] Re: yesod stylesheet serving

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Jul 5 15:59:48 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 10:43 PM, Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com> wrote:

> Great, thanks for the clarifications. sendFile made this easy. Has using
> that affected my portability much, eg to windows ?

As far as I know, not at all. I actually run some of this code on Windows
system (via wai-handler-webkit[1]) in production environments, and it all
works fine. I'm just building on top of the sendfile library[2] which does
The Right Thing.

Of course, like anything WAI, it depends on the implementation. If I'm not
mistaken, Snap doesn't run on Windows (please correct me if I'm wrong on
this, I'd like to know), so using the not-yet-released Snap WAI backend
would clearly not work on Windows either.

> On Jul 5, 2010, at 12:04 PM, Michael Snoyman wrote:
>
>> the rendering details for you. If you point me to the code in question,
>> I'll take a look.
>>

> Latest code pushed to
> http://joyful.com/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=hledger;a=headblob;f=/Hledger/Cli/Commands/WebYesod.hs

Firstly, very nice code. I especially like how you're able to get an entire
interface to fit into just 6 routes... impressive.

I believe the problem is on line 120, where you call "renderHamlet id". If
you look at the type of renderHamlet:

renderHamlet :: (url -> String) -> Hamlet url -> L.ByteString

You'll see that:

renderHamlet id :: Hamlet String -> L.ByteString

In general, you don't need to call renderHamlet directly when using Yesod.
Instead, you have two better options:

* hamletToRepHtml handles the rendering, calling toContent, and wrapping in
a RepHtml. So your line 120 could be rewritten as:

     hamletToRepHtml $ template req msg as ps "hledger" s

At which point you'd be able to use type-safe URLs in your Hamlet template
(wrapping in the @ signs), and you can forget about URL splicing.

* applyLayout just builds on top of hamletToRepHtml, by also applying your
default layout to the returned content. In your case, I wouldn't say it's
necessary, but it makes a lot of sense for large sites that want to have a
standard look for all pages.

Few other comments:

* On line 228, you use a non-breaking space. I'm not sure if you *need*
that, or are just trying to work around Yesod's whitespace rules. If the
latter, there's a relatively new feature that allows you to put a backslash
at the beginning of the content to bypass the whitespace rules.[3]

* I'm impressed to see you found the getMessage/setMessage API. I keep
meaning to blog about it, but haven't had a chance.

* On line 212, I see you drop to plain XHTML syntax. If you just want to get
XHTML closing-tag rules and keep the Hamlet syntax, use "$xhamlet" instead
of "$hamlet" at the beginning of your quasi-quoter.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I've been interested in hledger
for a while now, so it's very gratifying to see it move over to Yesod.

Michael

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/wai-handler-webkit
[2] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/sendfile
[3] http://docs.yesodweb.com/hamlet/lineparsing.html