[web-devel] Wiki web programming page(s)

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Jun 21 10:15:30 EDT 2010

Inspiration for this e-mail comes from a post on reddit[1].

I think it's time as a web development community we work together on the
overall Haskell web brand. We need a well thought out approach to organizing
the information we have on the Wiki, and some people to be responsible for
keeping it up to date. At the moment, the main web programming page[2] is
(in my opinion) horribly disorganized, and presents the wrong information
first. We also have a number of smaller pages floating around [3][4][5] that
in theory could be subsumed into a more general framework.

The first step I believe is to create a single page that categorizes all of
the web projects, gives a brief description, and links to more information.
One thing this main page should *not* do is give information like how to
create a static binary[6].

So here's a start at the categories I think we should put in:

Servers, eg happstack, snap
Interfaces, eg Hack, WAI. Perhaps it should be included in servers?
Templating: HStringTemplate, Hamlet, HSP
HTML combinators: blaze, html, xhtml. Perhaps included in templating?
Storage: HDBC, macid
Controllers: web-routes, UrlDisp
Frameworks: yesod, kibro, turbinado, happstack, snap
Misc: authenticate, openid, clientsession

Let's try to get a single page that contains as much of a high-level
overview as possible. Just imagine if people new to Haskell could go to one
page, get up-to-date information and make informed decisions about their
choice in tools.

Michael

[1]
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/ch4me/first_impressions_serving_statically_with_snap/c0skia7