[web-devel] Re: [Haskell-cafe] Google Summer of Code: BlazeHTML RFC

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Thu May 27 03:55:19 EDT 2010

Two comments:

* The exclamation point seems good enough for attributes. I copied that for
Hamlet as well.

* If you're standardizing on UTF-8, why not support bytestrings? I'm aware
that a user could shoot him/herself in the foot by passing in non-UTF8 data,
but I would imagine the performance gains would outweigh this. My recent
benchmarks on the BigTable benchmark[1] imply a huge performance gap between
ByteStrings and other contenders.

As we've discussed before, I think combining BlazeHtml and Hamlet would be
very nice, though I'm dubious that a BlazeHtml backend for Hamlet would be
faster than a raw backend.

Looking forward to hearing more progress, good luck!
Michael

[1] http://www.snoyman.com/blog/entry/bigtable-benchmarks/