[web-devel] Re: ANNOUNCE: yesod 0.2.0

Matt Parker moonmaster9000 at gmail.com
Mon May 24 15:41:09 EDT 2010

i use type-safe urls all the time! in rails :-)

the rails router generates helper functions, allowing you to use route
helpers throughout your code instead of the literal urls - making it
possible, and simple, to change your routes throughout your entire codebase
by simply changing the route definition (assuming you actually used the
route helpers in your code instead of littering handcrafted url strings all
over the place).

if you've never seen it before, basically some code like this:

resources :blogs

generates url-generator methods like

blogs_X
blog_X

where X=url or path

and also routes incoming requests to controller actions based on RESTful
conventions: GET /blogs would go to the BlogsController:#index action, GET
/blogs/1 would go to the BlogsController:#show action, POST /blogs/1 would
go to the BlogsController:#update action, etc. etc. there's also a lot of
other ways to specify routes (named routes, nested routes, default routes,
regular routes, etc)