[web-devel] Re: ANNOUNCE: yesod 0.2.0

Gour gour at gour-nitai.com
Mon May 24 12:56:16 EDT 2010

On Mon, 24 May 2010 19:20:02 +0300
>>>>>> "Michael" == <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:

Michael> Snap is definitely *not* geared at shared hosting. I
Michael> discussed this with Gregory a while ago, and unless he's
Michael> changed his mind since, they're not interested in anything
Michael> but dedicated hosting. So I would definitely say stick with
Michael> FastCGI (or CGI... I'm working on some benchmarks right now).

I've asked the other day on #snapframework, and the response was "that
use case is not very relevant for any of us but we know people are
interested in that", so it does not sound as definite 'no', but who
knows...

Michael> > I know that since implementing this feature in Yesod it's >
Michael> completely changed the way I write web apps. There's no more
Michael> fear of changing my URL structure: I just do it, and the
Michael> compiler tells me if I need to fix anything. If Yesod goes in
Michael> the advertising direction, this will most likely be the top
Michael> item on the list.

Why should Yesod not go into (more) advertising? ;)

Michael> > I personally prefer the Yesod approach, but of course I'm a
Michael> > biased source.
Michael> I found writing code against Snap to be a little... unnatural.

I did not try (hard) enough neither with Yesod, nor with Snap, but
none did not look 'natural' to me either. Maybe it's because I did not
do any web programming and being only exposed to Django-way of things.

We hope it will change when we go deeper...

Michael> > Given my current line of employment, RDBMS is my top
Michael> priority for the persistence layer. My thought right now is
Michael> to start with MySQL, since it has the weakest Haskell support
Michael> at the moment.

Heh, I vote for PostgreSQL although sqlite3 would be probably enough
to serve blog(gy), but I assume those will be supported as well.

Michael> Ideas are percolating, but I haven't had a chance to actually
Michael> write something concrete yet.

OK.

Wish you some 'enlightenment'. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6