[web-devel] Re: Hamlet & Haml

Gour gour at gour-nitai.com
Mon Apr 12 06:16:19 EDT 2010

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:14:15 -0700
>>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Snoyman wrote:

Michael> Funny to see this mentioned right now; I'm in the middle of
Michael> incorporating it into Yesod. It's most definitely haml-like:

Heh...somehow I've stumbled upon Haml/Sass after researching about
static-site generators (StaticMatic supports Haml) and then thought
about Haskell...which has brought me to Hamlet. :-)

The wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haml#Implementations)
lists severeal implementations, that's why I've asked if Hamlet could
be counted as one?

Michael> haml itself allows embedding of arbitrary Ruby code, so that's
Michael> not really something I'm interested in here.

Same here. No interest in Ruby.

Michael> I'll put up a mini tutorial on it when it's polished, but
Michael> there's really not much to the syntax. Just to give an idea of
Michael> the niche it's trying to fill:
Michael>
Michael> * Quasi-quoted templates are embeddable directly in your
Michael> Haskell files and included in the binary.
Michael> * All variables are compile-time checked.
Michael> * Allows for on-demand loading of IO values, eg you can have
Michael> conditionals in the template and only load data from a
Michael> database if needed.
Michael> * It uses enumerators for looping, so it should fit nicely in
Michael> memory.
Michael> * Deals with the string problem by having a very simple
Michael> datatype: data Html = Encoded Text | Unencoded Text (Html will
Michael> probably be renamed to something else).
Michael> * Has a monadic interface so you can use the nice features of
Michael> the Hamlet monad without using the Hamlet syntax and
Michael> quasi-quoter.
Michael> * Allows embedding of other templates.

It looks very good. *thumb up*

Michael> The code for integration into Yesod is literally being written
Michael> right now (just took a break to check my e-mail), so I should
Michael> have more to say soon. If anyone's dying to know the details,
Michael> send me an e-mail and I'll try to put together a blog post.

No rush here. ;) (We'll use Hakyll for now.)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6