[web-devel] What frameworks are there?

Sebastiaan Visser sfvisser at cs.uu.nl
Thu Apr 8 10:45:37 EDT 2010

Kyle,

What functionality do you need? What do you want this `framework' to offer you? There are plenty of packages for Haskell that help you to write web applications, all of them offering some functionality. It's very unlikely you'll find one single package that satisfies all your requirements.

I advice you to look around and see what package there are and how these might help you.

For example, I'm currently thinking about building a web application using:
  - The Salvia server interface (not surprisingly, this one is written by me)
  - The Haskell bindings to the Berkeley XML database for long-term storage.
  - The Salvia-session package for in-memory session storage.
  - The HXT xml library.
  - The regular-xmlpickler for generic XML printing/parsing (using HXT picklers).
  - The BlazeHtml package for building up HTML pages (fast).
  - The formlets package for generating flexible web forms.
  - The CleverCSS package (and salvia integration) for improved css support.
  - probably even more...

Although I agree it is not always easy to get a grip on what are the best techniques available for Haskell web development, there are plenty of tools available. It will probably take some time to get to know all these libraries, but due to the clear separation of concerns and Haskell's neat type system, integration is almost never a problem.

I sincerely hope this might help you and does not scare you :-)

Regards,

Sebastiaan