[web-devel] Type-safe URL handling

Jeremy Shaw jeremy at n-heptane.com
Wed Mar 24 18:36:39 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, I think that addresses all the issues on the table; is
> there anything left to decide? I look forward to seeing a sample URLT :).

There were other issues that came up, but nothing exciting enough to talk
about.

I have pushed a patch which I think brings the code up to date in terms of
functionality. See WaiExample for a detail of everything that is currently
supported (aside from the happstack / hsp stuff).

The next steps are to:

 1. change the names of any functions or types that we do not currently like
 2. add the haddock documentation
 3. split the package into separate packages so that you don't have to pull
in extra dependencies that you aren't going to use
 4. turn the WaiExample into a literate tutorial / blog post
 5. add a (simple) happstack example as well

So take a look and let me know what you think. Especially in regards to #1.

Then we can also look into how to extend the yesod mkResources stuff to work
with this new code.

from a parsing point of view, we almost don't have to do anything, we could
just do:

 [mkResource|  "/foo/:int/:int" = \i j -> mySite (Foo i j) |]

or whatever the syntax is. But that does not solve the issue of how to go
from (Foo 1 2) back to /foo/1/2 and ensure that it is the inverse operation.

- jeremy