[web-devel] Type-safe URL handling

Chris Eidhof chris at eidhof.nl
Tue Mar 16 12:54:36 EDT 2010

On 16 mrt 2010, at 16:46, Michael Snoyman wrote:

> Took me a bit to appreciate what you just said there, but I see your point now. It's true, it does have some very nice features. I'm still concerned about creating something which involves too much boilerplate.

Yes. Generic programming (which is what the regular library provides) tries to hide the boilerplate (Template Haskell) code in a library and provides you with combinators so that you can program on the structure of a datatype. This is also at the core of my regular-web library [1], which generates forms/html/json/xml in the same way. You notice that on lines 34-36, I use the exact same TH calls. Once you did that, you get HTML and Formlets generation for free!

> Am I understanding correctly that the URLs will be derived from the names of the datatypes?

Exactly!

> Also, how would you address URL dispatch in this approach?

A URL is represented by a datastructure, e.g. ApplicationRoute. You would write a function "dispatch :: ApplicationRoute -> Application". Dispatch is not part of the library (and it shouldn't be, imo). In the module "MyApp.UserController" you might write a function "dispatchUser :: UserRoute -> Application", which is called by the original dispatch function.

-chris

[1]: http://github.com/chriseidhof/regular-web/blob/master/Example.lhs