[web-devel] Re: consolidating Haskell's web-framework scene

Gour gour at gour-nitai.com
Mon Mar 15 16:06:32 EDT 2010

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 08:10:35 -0700
>>>>>> "Michael" == <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:

Michael> I am very interested in trying to continue consolidation, but
Michael> I think aiming for the One True Haskell Framework is a bad
Michael> idea.

I didn't think about One True Haskell Framework, but about, at least
one, which can run on shared hosting using nginx, cherokee, lighty
server, some templating engine, database back-end and decently
documented.

Michael> Python- the community known for One Way To Do It- can't even
Michael> consolidate around a single framework, so Haskell- the
Michael> language of We Can All Write A Monad Transformers Library-
Michael> doesn't stand a chance.

That's true, but Python is much bigger community in comparison and,
afaics, Python web frameworks have lot of docs, some even many books
written about them.

Michael> So where can we consolidate? On libraries. I have purposely
Michael> released a number of the components of Yesod as separate
Michael> libraries that are available to any framework author (or even
Michael> someone *not* using a framework).

That's great and I'm very happy seeing that Happstack may become
WAI-ready.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6