[web-devel] A light-weight web framework

Maurice Codik maurice.codik at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 13:16:50 EDT 2007

> Embedding code in web templates doesn't work well when you have
> designers on board.

That's not necesarily true. Templates where there is mostly markup, but let
you embed code into them using special tags (ex, <% code %>) are extremely
popular and work fairly well. They also keep the template language simple
because there is already a full-powered programming language thats embedded
into it. Good examples of this method are ERB templates in Rails, JSPs, Perl
Mason templates, etc.

In these cases one of two things happen: either the designers learn enough
of the programming language to embed the right things in, or they just hand
off HTML to the developers, who can then replace the dynamic parts with <%
%> tags. If I'm a designer and I have learn a new templating language
anyway, I may as well just learn a little bit of
Haskell/Ruby/Perl/Java/whatever.

The best choice of templating technology really depends who the target
audience of the web framework is. Has there been much thought given to that
yet?

Maurice

http://blog.mauricecodik.com