[Template-haskell] new TH tutorial (request for comments)

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Mon Jan 23 05:38:53 EST 2006

Hello Johannes,

Monday, January 23, 2006, 11:27:58 AM, you wrote:

JW> I'd like to read some overview and comparison on "second-level
JW> programming" in Haskell (and if there is none, I'm willing to contribute):

citating my another letter: "when i was interested in generic
programmimg with Haskell, i found 7 projects, which can be used for
it:

drift
-fgenerics
TH
generic haskell
polyp
SYB
strafunski"

JW> what is the relation between Preprocessors (DrIFT), Template Haskell,
JW> Data.Generics/Typeable (so perhaps have one example presented in  each
JW> of these frameworks)

i also had an idea of small overview of these all tools. i divided
them to 3 categories:

general preprocessors/code generators
  TH
  DrIFT
compile-time generic programming tools
  GH
  PolyP
  -fgenerics
dynamic generic programming libraries
  SYB
  strafunski

it's interesting that GHC itself armored with just one tool in each
category! :)  of course, -fgenerics is very weak tool, so compile-time
generic programming is the area where GHC has lesser power

JW> and how it compares to Reflection (including Annotations) as in
JW> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/reflect/package-summary.html

JW> I have the feeling that annoations (in the Java sense, see JLS 9.6/9.7)
JW> are a clever and powerful idea that we might want to copy.

no opinion, just citating for haskell maillist :)

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com