[Template-haskell] GADTs

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sat Aug 12 05:26:12 EDT 2006

On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 10:26:06AM +0300, Einar Karttunen wrote:
> On 11.08 23:25, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> > If you have any objections or comments then please let me know;
> > otherwise I think it would be great to get this into GHC 6.6.
>
> Why not simple represent all data declarations as GADT to the user?

Because GADTs cannot represent record constructors. I didn't make GadtC
a constructor for Con as I don't think you could pretty-print a
datatype with both GADT and record constructors.

Also, TH tries to present the completely sugared language to the user;
otherwise it would probably work on something more like core.

Thanks
Ian