[Template-haskell] RE: Template Haskell...

Alastair Reid alastair at reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Thu Oct 30 13:53:03 EST 2003

> I don't think we want Exceptions here.

Agreed

> And I'm sceptical about whether
> the recovery code wants to inspect the errors and warnings.

Probably not.

> Just possibly, the recovery code could get the String passed to 'fail'.

I think it needs to get something (String, Doc, etc.) so that it can control
whether it is displayed and where it is displayed.  I don't care what that
something is.

> Personally I like the recovery code (= handler) to be the first
> argument, because it's usually small.

I'm completely open to any argument ordering.

>        report :: Bool -> String -> Q ()
>       -- Report an error (True) or warning (False)
>
> I'm a bit uncertain about your failWithEx.  Maybe a more elaborated
> version of report?  I wonder if it's worth it.

I think it's cheap to implement (isn't it?) and supports those who want to use
TH to implement language extensions as opposed to those using TH to make
things go faster.

--
Alastair Reid