[Template-haskell] Release

Ian Lynagh igloo@earth.li
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 16:42:57 +0100

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 08:39:39AM +0100, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> So, you merry and select band of TH users, speak up now, else Ian and
> Manuel will change it anyway!

OK, I'm going to start making the changes now as I haven't seen any
objections, starting with the type parameterisation.

> |  * Use a naming scheme for the functions that avoids having
> |    to suffix some with "E" or "D" and some not.  Example: we
> |    have "cond", but "letE".  Better *uniformly* use a single
> |    suffix for all functions of the same class; eg, "condExp"
> |    and "letExp" (or "condE" and "letE" if you desperately
> |    want to save letters).

Looks like Exp will do as there have been no requests for E!

> |  * Get rid of the intriguing (but IMHO impractical) idea of
> |    using mnemonics of a particular length for variants data
> |    types.  Example: we have "Mat" and "Mtch" as well as "Rhs"
> |    and "Rihs", where the four letter variant is in the Q
> |    monad.  The distinction between "Mat" and "Match" etc will
> |    vanish once we get rid of the two-level type scheme.  Then
> |    we can just have "Match" and "MatchQ" together with "Rhs"
> |    and "RhsQ" and so on.

Would you prefer this over QMatch? I'm not really fussed, but all things
being equal QMatch = Q Match makes slightly more sense to me.

Thanks
Ian