[reactive] Re: GTK + Reactive

Levi Stephen levi.stephen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 17:23:59 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 8:26 AM, Thomas Davie <tom.davie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 Nov 2008, at 22:50, Levi Stephen wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> This is no longer a problem I managed to get this working by adding the
>> following lines:
>>
>> updater <- mkUpdater (cGetTime clock) (return () `stepper` quitOnDestory
>> windowDestroy)
>>
>> idleAdd (updater >> return True)
>>

> Excellent!  I look forward to seeing a release of reactive-gtk some time,
> it'd be lovely to be able to program "proper" GUIs in a truely functional
> way.
>
> Bob

Just don't hold your breath ;)

My project is more to develop an app, but I'm experimenting with using
reactive and gtk together. Hopefully something like reactive-gtk could come
out of it, but that isn't what I'm aiming for atm. If anything useful does
turn up, I will package it though.

In particular, I'm not sure what the best way to represent GUIs in a
reactive program is. Currently I'm just using an approach similar to the
above, where any GTK event is 'wrapped' using makeEvent to create a reactive
Event. I hope to get a better idea of what the best way is as I proceed and
refactor as I go.

Levi