[reactive] unsafePerformIO: is it correctly used?

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Fri Nov 21 02:22:16 EST 2008

Hi Peter,

I'm glad to see you're getting into the Reactive code!

As a complement to Luke's answer:

I think readIVar is an exception to the usual guidelines below.  The point
of the IVar type is that it can get written *at most once*, so any read will
yield the same value.  It doesn't matter in this case whether the readMVar
computation is duplicated.  It always has to yield the same result, namely
the only value that has been or will be written to the MVar, or bottom if no
value ever gets written.  As Luke mentioned, the IVar interface does not
allow takeMVar to be called, except via readMVar, which replaces the value
after reading.

  - Conal