[reactive] To fmap fmap or not?

Eyal Lotem eyal.lotem at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 19:00:06 EST 2008

I see fmap as a "penetration" of one box.
fmap.fmap as a "penetration" of two boxes, and so on.

So, if you have (UI -> Behavior (Blah, a)), then the value "a" is "buried"
inside a (UI->) box, then inside a Behavior box, and then inside a (Blah,)
box.
To change the value of "a" you can thus use:  (fmap.fmap.fmap) aToB

To access (Blah, a), instead, just use (fmap.fmap) and penetrate just 2
boxes instead of 3.

Additionally, this "trick" also works nicely with liftA2.  If you have two
values that are buried inside the same 2 boxes (For example,  two values of
type: UI -> Behavior a -- the boxes here are a (UI->) reader, and a
Behavior), then you can apply f to the "a" inside both via:

(liftA2.liftA2) f doublyBoxedA doublyBoxedB

And as usual, (liftA2.liftA2.liftA2) when the values are wrapped in 3 boxes,
and so on.

Eyal