[reactive] Re: Stuff to add to Reactive

David Sankel camior at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 10:31:23 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 6:57 PM, Conal Elliott <conal.elliott at gmail.com>wrote:

> The 'changes' function would break through the step-function-of-time
> semantics of Reactive.  In other words, I don't think you can specify the
> meaning of 'changes' in terms of the meaning of Reactive.

I see what you mean: my implementation of changes only removes one kind of
redundancy (reactive's simultaneous occurrences). It doesn't remove the
redundancy where some occurrences may not change the value.

My next thought is, why not add an Eq parameter to the changes function and
use that to remove the other redundancy? I'm thinking that could work in
many cases, but in this case:

data WiperMode = Normal { singleWipe :: Event ()
                        , customWipe :: Event ()
                        }
               | SlowWipe
               | ContinuousWipe
               | FastWipe
type WiperStick = Reactive WiperMode

That would require me to have an Eq on WiperMode with the embedded events. I
can't see a way to make that work.

I think I'll just change my example to be WiperStick = Event WiperMode with
a condition that there exists an occurance at -infinity.

Hrm, I'm thinking this conversation should probably be on the reactive list.
I'll cc it.

David

--
David Sankel