[Numeric] Getting blas-ffi to build under nix

dominic at steinitz.org dominic at steinitz.org
Wed Aug 28 12:42:53 UTC 2019

I thought I would broaden out the discussion Henning and I have been having.

I have managed to get http://hackage.haskell.org/package/blas-ffi <http://hackage.haskell.org/package/blas-ffi> to build under nix. Ideally we would like cabal2nix to do this automatically for us. We can do this if

We use openblas rather than blas.
Replace `PkgConfig-Depends: blas` with `PkgConfig-Depends: lapack (as the lapack derivation in nix generates a blas.pc) in the cabal file.
Fix nix to generate .pc files for blas - I don’t know the consequences of doing this but I can’t see any downside.

Does anyone have any views on what might be the best approach?

Dominic Steinitz
dominic at steinitz.org
http://idontgetoutmuch.org
Twitter: @idontgetoutmuch