[Numeric] ggplot for Haskell (was Re: [diagrams] Using charts in blogliteratelyd)

Dominic Steinitz dominic at steinitz.org
Mon Feb 23 20:07:44 UTC 2015

Dominic Steinitz
dominic at steinitz.org
http://idontgetoutmuch.wordpress.com

On 23 Feb 2015, at 15:50, Daniel Bergey <bergey at teallabs.org> wrote:

> On 2015-02-17 at 17:41, Dominic Steinitz <dominic at steinitz.org> wrote:
>> I think we can already do faceting e.g.
>>
>> https://idontgetoutmuch.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/044408c77f048f73.png?w=1560
>> http://www.helsinki.fi/varieng/series/volumes/07/siirtola_et_al/figures/sfigure12.png
>
> How does Chart handle axes bounds when faceting?  This is an example
> where I believe ggplot outshines matplotlib.  matplotlib does a good job
> picking axes bounds & tickmarks for a single plot, but if I make two
> subplots, it picks bounds separately for each.  To get them aligned on
> one or both axes, I need to specify bounds myself.  ggplot by default
> plots each subplot with matching bounds on the matching axes.

I should have been clearer - my apologies. chart does *not* do faceting; I transform multiple charts into diagrams and then lay these out in whatever way is appropriate. I can create each chart with identical axes and so get the ggplot experience.

>> but that uses a package called Beanplot
>> (http://www.jstatsoft.org/v28/c01/paper) not ggplot.
>
> That's a cool graph.  I've seen symmetric "violin plots" before, with
> the same univariate distribution plotted on each side of the vertical
> whiskers.  I think I prefer this version, with a different category on
> each side.

I think to do something like this I need to be able to access the components of a chart and be able to create new sorts of components; I don’t believe the former is possible at the moment although I think the latter is (I recall someone just submitted a pull request to produce histograms).