[nhc-users] Re: porting nhc98 to plan9

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Sep 10 05:41:37 EDT 2009

> 1. The hc files are generated by nhc98comp? I will still need to
> modify nhc98comp to always produce the unsigned char*?

Yes, and yes.  The latter will be easy - it should be a single line
change in src/compiler98/EmitState.hs

> 2. I am also bypassing nhc98 script during the prelude build. I am
> created a separate script to compile prelude under plan9. The script
> just loads the hc files into the C compiler.

Might be reasonable.  The main reason for using the nhc98 script is
just to ensure that the right header files etc are visible.

> 3. I am still guessing here, but If item 2 is an ok approach is it
> possible to simply compile src/runtime/Runtime.a and use the .o files
> from a unix build?

Yes, that might well work, if the .o files are ABI-compatible across
unix and plan9.

Regards,
     Malcolm