[nhc-users] /usr/lib/hmake/$arch-$os/

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Sat Jun 12 18:33:11 EDT 2004

Ian Lynagh wrote:
> [...] The other is to just drop the $arch-$os/ path component completely; the
> FHS says (well, strongly implies at least) that /usr/lib is
> architecture-dependent anyway. [...]

I can only second Ian here, having an architecture-dependent PATH / library path
is archaic, IMHO. Even automounters a decade ago could handle this more elegantly,
at least if the admin in question cares to read the man pages. :-] There are tons
of programs which would have to handle this compared to a single automounter/whatever
config. So let's make this our mantra: "/usr is write-only and /usr/lib is /usr/lib!"

Cheers,
    S.