[nhc-users] Problem installing nhc98 1.16 using bootstrap-from-C method

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace@cs.york.ac.uk
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:03:29 +0100

"David Bakin" <davidbak@attbi.com> writes:

> I'm having trouble building nhc98 using bootstrap-from-C - the following
> shows the error I'm getting.  It is actually executing in hmake3.config
>
> I/O error:
>   action :  openFile ReadMode
>   on file:  /cygdrive/c/TEMP\hmakeconfig.tmp
>   gave   :  ENOENT (No such file or directory)

I believe the problem here is the mixture of directory separators.
When compiled by ghc the mix doesn't matter, but it does matter in a
pure C-under-cygwin build, which likes to pretend to be Unix as much
as possible.

In src/hmake/RunAndReadStdout.hs, try changing

    tmpfile root =
      if windows
        then (tmp++"\\"++root++".tmp")
        then (tmp++"/"++root++".tmp")

Then, because you are bootstrapping via C, you will need to re-generate
the .hc file from this source before continuing with the build:

    ( cd src/hmake && ../../script/nhc98 -C RunAndReadStdout.hs )
    make

Regards,
    Malcolm