filepath-1.4.100.0 released

Julian Ospald hasufell at posteo.de
Sat Jul 16 08:03:22 UTC 2022

Rust converts to an internal encoding that seems to be a common representation across platforms: WTF-8

https://simonsapin.github.io/wtf-8/

That has some odd properties when getting length and trying to split strings. That lead to yet another experiment: OMG-WTF-8

https://github.com/kennytm/omgwtf8

I'm not sure this is a sensible path. I much prefer the "don't touch the bytes".

Erlang on the other hand seems to try to decode as UTF-8 (or something else you tell it to on startup) and falls back to "raw filenames" if decoding of a filepath fails:

* https://www.erlang.org/doc/man/filename.html
* https://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/stdlib/unicode_usage.html#notes-about-raw-filenames

This wouldn't be too hard to do in Haskell, as something like:

data OsPath = OsPath { filepath = Maybe String, rawFilepath = ShortByteString }

But I believe this is questionable API for a low-level library. Libraries building on top of 'filepath' can easily provide such an API.

I'm not sure if there's any language that does the same as AFPP.