Storable instance of () is broken

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Wed Jan 5 11:41:41 UTC 2022

On Wed, 5 Jan 2022, Harendra Kumar wrote:

> If we do not want to consume space for () then better not have a
> Storable instance for it, leave it to the users. And if we really want
> to store it then let it behave in the same way as any other mere
> mortal storable would, so what if it takes up some space. Why not have
> simple, uniform semantics for all cases? I think saving that extra
> byte for this particular case is an overkill and leading to a bigger
> cost in applications without actually saving anything worthwhile.

Maybe the Storable class is not the right one for your application.

I came to this conclusion for my llvm-tf package for exchanging data
between LLVM code and Haskell. Today I distinguish between base:Storable
and my own LLVM.Storable class. They share implementations for Word8,
Int16 and so on, but e.g. for Bool they differ (LLVM: one byte, base: four
bytes) and LLVM.Storable supports tuples, whereas base:Storable does not.

One of my LLVM applications works this way: I have an Arrow with
existentially quantified state. If an arrow does not need a state, the
state type is (). If I combine two arrows with (***) then I need to bundle
their states in a pair. Thus I need to store () and I need to store nested
tuples where some members are (). () is mapped to LLVM's empty tuple {},
and {} consumes no space. By using (***), the state type grows, but the
required memory may stay the same.

That is, () consuming no space can be very useful. However, that argument
cannot be directly transfered to base:Storable, because base:Storable is
not intended for tuples. If you find that your application needs tuples,
then you better define your own Storable class, anyway.