Storable instance of () is broken

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 08:13:46 UTC 2022

I don't think it's broken; I think your length calculation is broken.
Instead of asking every use of () to take an extra byte, why don't you just
store a word saying how long your array is?

Alternatively, you could probably avoid special cases with a newtype:

newtype NZS a = NZS { unNZS :: a }

instance Storable a => Storable (NZS a) where
  sizeof
    | sizeof (undefined @a) == 0
    = const 1
    | otherwise = sizeof .# unNZS