New CLC proposal process

Andrew Lelechenko andrew.lelechenko at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 12:01:55 UTC 2021

1. On contrary, we narrowed CLC from 9 to 6 members to make it more manageable.

2. CLC was incapable to deal with wider ecosystem issues for years. It is better not to nourish false hopes.

I believe in “Make each committee do one thing well”. CLC’s primary and undivided responsibility is `base` and, as witnessed by a huge backlog, even this single thing was handled below expectations. It’s not like we are in a good position to accept additional, wider responsibilities.

Remember that “core libraries” is an abstract moniker without much consistency: e. g., before very recent `text` was not core, and it includes `mtl`, but not `transformers`, and does not include `containers`. So AFAIU CLC was never a correct body for ecosystem-wide changes.

(FWIW I’m hugely interested in AFPP and happy to help in my personal capacity)

Best regards,
Andrew