Proposal: deprecate Prelude.read

Fumiaki Kinoshita fumiexcel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 02:31:19 UTC 2021

It is a partial function that does not provide a call stack, and it's very
slow too.

I propose deprecating Prelude.read. Adding deprecation should not break
anything substantial because Hackage rejects -Werror (application code
using -Werror is likely to experience a lot more breakage anyway, and I'd
say it's their fault if it fails to build due to a use of read along with
-Werror).

Of course those who still want to use Prelude.read can totally ignore
warnings. I believe this proposal is not that controversial.