RFC: Add HasCallStack constraint to partial Data.List functions.

Ryan Trinkle ryan at trinkle.org
Mon May 31 16:09:20 UTC 2021

I certainly agree that a more systemic solution would be preferable.
However, none have been forthcoming in the 15 or so years I've been
using Haskell.  The use of partial functions in library code has been
one of the few consistent sources of multi-day debugging exercises in
Haskell that I've seen, and even cutting that down in an ad-hoc way
would be valuable, since there are probably a dozen functions that
account for 80% of the debugging hours (I'd certainly like to see
fromJust on that list, for example).

I agree with your point about education, but I do wonder whether these
functions should be taught at all.  What is their purpose, really?  I've
found little downside (and a lot of upside) to simply never using any of
these functions.  (The times when I get bitten by them are when they are
used in libraries I use.)